Sunday, January 12, 2014

4 months of Grace

Happy 4 months to you baby Grace. Here is what life is like for our girl these days...
Bundled up in her cute coat and bonnet from Grammy
Physical
We went for Grace's checkup on Friday and found that she weighs 15lb 4oz, or roughly 150% of her birth weight. Yikes! She's around the 70th percentile for weight (same as 2 months) and now the 40th for length (up from 14th at 2 months-ha!). I think she was 24 inches.
We've discovered that Grace has an exceptionally long tongue, which she likes to stretch out as far as it can go.
She also likes to grab onto it with her fingers. That's talent right there.
Eating
Still nursing on demand when I'm home, and 3-4 oz from a bottle when Jon or Susan are with her. She has been sleeping longer stretches which I can definitely tell impact my milk supply, so I'm trying to be extra careful about pumping more at work, using mother's milk tea, nursing a lot when I'm home, etc. No solids yet, and we weren't planning on starting until way closer to 6 months, until we went to the pediatrician who told us about new research saying to start peanut butter BEFORE 6 months to prevent allergies. I always feel like a real genius when I don't know these things at her check ups. So I'd like to read this new research, and we will decide about starting solids in a month or so.
Sitting in the high chair, just for fun. 
Sleep
Longer stretches at night make me happy. Her bedtime is now between 5 and 5:30, which is super early but she does so much better with it. She usually wakes twice in the night to eat, and is up for good around 6:30. Naps are still 30min - 2hours in length, and aren't on any schedule just yet. She still gets tired after 60-90 minutes of being awake, and I hope that changes soon to spread our naps out over the day better. 
Hey bright eyes!
Development
Baby girl totally failed her tummy-time test at her check up. Ha! She hates being on her tummy, and would not even lift her head up 1 inch for the doctor. Again, I feel like a winning mom and a fabulous PA. But we've been practicing this weekend and she's getting better. She will hold a toy and wave it around and put it in her mouth. She won't really reach for one yet. She is actually quite stable will sitting up, and has sat on her own for a few seconds at a time. She's totally aware of everything going on the room, and still likes sitting back and watching Jonathan run circles (literally) around her. Lots of talking and babbling and screeching too :).
Giving Lily a kiss/eating Lily's face.
Favorite toys include Lily the Cat, ducky rattle from her brother, and her playmat. Obviously.
Personality
Still such a content, happy baby. Lots more smiles and even giggles! I am kicking myself for not capturing her giggles on camera yet. The most effective way to get a laugh is to pump her arms up and down while she's laying on her back and make a silly noise while doing it. Embarrassing for mom, adorable for Grace. 
"Ummm Mother why are you making me wear this hat?"
Sibling stuff
They took their first bath together and were adorable, Jonathan pouring water from his boat into her tub, Grace just sucking her thumb and soaking in the neck-high water while watching him. 
(see above paragraph)
Warm bath. Thumb in mouth. Life is good.
Mommy
This girl just makes me smile. Going in and getting her after her nap is definitely the best, when I get a big "I missed you!" smile. This weekend I have been sick and whiny about not getting to rest, but man holding and cuddling this girl is so worth it. I love you my little darling. 
Aforementioned "I missed you!" smile :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am SO glad you posted this. She is just precious and looking more and more like big brother! Glad you both are doing so well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with E - she and Jonathan look so much alike! We read some of that stuff about PB and other potential allergens and I think we gave both our kids PB around 4 months before they were really eating solids. Glad to know the research people haven't changed their minds yet and decided it is actually detrimental instead. Haha.

    ReplyDelete