Friday, May 18, 2012

nursing

Hello, ladies. There's been lots of talk lately about breastfeeding, thanks to TIME mag's wonderfully accurate portrayal on their cover. I've been wanting to reflect on our year of nursing, and I will chose to do so with no regard for the recent hype :). I'll also mention quickly that this post is not well-written. I'm in the mood to write about it but not really in the mood to edit it. Oh and the last warning is that it is all about boobs.... So read at your own risk.

I love nursing Jonathan. I was pretty sure that I would like it, but I didn't know I would love it. But I do. I really do. I'm thankful that we were designed this way, to nourish our babies like this - nourish them with food but also with love and comfort and contact.

That's not to say we haven't had some bumps along the way. We actually hit a major speed-bump right from the start when my milk didn't come in for SEVEN DAYS. Yes that is the truth. Little baby Jonathan just drank colostrum for his first week of life. He lived on the boob. And boy did I make some colostrum! I am around mommies and babies all the time and have never heard of someone being able to pump a whole ounce or more of purely colostrum. But right here ladies - this mama did.

I admit that when it comes to nursing, I did not know what I was doing. At all. Part of the reason my milk didn't come in for so long is because we didn't even nurse at all in the first 24 hours after J was born!!! I will do a lot of things differently with the next baby (if I had a nickel for every time I say that...).

For example, I will not watch the clock. I was a major clock watcher. I would wake him up when I thought it was time to nurse, and I would make sure he nursed for a certain amount of time. Not that I think these practices are that awful, but they have their down sides. With the next baby I will just be ok with nursing whenever s/he wants. I won't get so worried that I am doing something wrong if I have a hungry baby who seems to want to eat all the time. Who cares. Babies go through like a hundred growth spurts in the first fifty days of life, which I know from medical experience, but really know from mommy experience.

Gosh I remember those first few months of nursing - singing to him through the whole feeding to keep him awake enough to finish; wondering, do I pump? Will he wake up hungry in one second if I do pump? (Always the answer to that was YES, he WILL!); sore nipples - take a deep breath before he latches - YIKES!; feeling like we were getting the hang of things and then the next day feeling like we were doing this all wrong.

When I went back to work I started pumping three times per day. Jonathan never had much trouble with bottle/breast switching. I really feel lucky that pumping at work has never been much of an issue. An inconvenience, yes, but never a problem with my employer or anything. Pumping sucks (no pun intended), but it's worth it. I never was one to be able to pump a large volume, nor was I ever a big milk producer in general. I admit that sometimes I'm amazed that we've been able to nurse for as long as we have. There have been multiple times that I have been worried about my precarious supply, but things always seemed to work out (Jonathan would be less hungry for a few days so I could build up my storage supply, for example).

I didn't think much about nursing for a whole year or not. I just figured we would go for at least a year and see what happened. It wasn't really a big goal or something to work toward, it was just what we did, what worked for us. I do feel proud in a way I guess that I have been able to give this gift to my baby, but I understand nursing so differently than before I had Jonathan. I think it would have been weirder not to nurse, rather than something to try really hard to make happen. It was just so normal and natural. (Not to mention CONVENIENT!! Plane rides are much more pleasant with boobs full of milk available at all times.) And I do think it makes for a strong mommy-baby bond, because I know it is a major way that he and I connect.

I remember the first time Jonathan actually looked up at me and made eye contact while he nursed. I remember when he started always touching my face and mouth while he nursed. These days it is such fun cuddle time -  he is so cute when I tickle him and he does this funny grin/giggle but doesn't want to unlatch. Oh I will never forget these times.

So, aside from the first three days of major difficulties, and even with the few issues since then, I have absolutely loved nursing. (Have I mentioned that yet?) I am one of those moms. I get all teary-eyed and dreamy and hormonal-high when I think about nursing. I.just.love.it. You can lean past your computer keyboard to puke if you need to because of all the mushy-gushy-ness.

So now he's almost a year. What do we do next? I am sad to think about not nursing him as frequently, and pretty much crushed when I think about not nursing at all. I plan to start cutting back on our daytime nursings in the next month or so, and then cutting out the morning and before bed times when he is ready. I feel good about where we are at. If there is anything I have learned this year, it's that Jonathan is pretty good about doing things when he is ready, so I'm not feeling (too) worried or anxious about these next couple months.

Ok so that is our deal with nursing this past year. This was one of those posts that was just good for me to get into words. Sorry, no pictures to go along with this topic. I'd love to hear any other thoughts about nursing, though, especially how things went with weaning/switching to whole milk. (I know, I know, I'm supposed to know all this stuff - but you've heard me talk about how different it is to give advice to patients vs. actually do it!)

8 comments:

  1. I loved nursing too! I pumped all the time at work and weekends at my house was a topless boob show. I wanted to keep nursing past 12 months but the week of her birthday i got awfully sick with a virus so after 4 days of no contact with each other our "when to end debate" was decided for us. I felt so guilty for stopping but it was the perfect timing. It was so freeing finishing nursing but I still loved our time together. Now that she can walk and talk I can't imagine her still nursing but for our 12 months it was the best part of my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you had such a great experience too, Lindsey. Kind of nice the way your weaning worked out! I always like when decisions are made for me :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad it has been a positive experience for the most-part for you. It is awesome that you have been able to keep it up. Know that it is a blessing! Honestly, my heart aches reading posts like this because I wish we could have continued nursing. I always pictured nursing to a year and was very committed to the idea...instead, we had to call it quits at four months. I second guess myself for quitting STILL. You know how mommy guilt goes. But I know I did what I had to do at the time and it probably would not have ever gotten better. I am just praying that my next baby is more cooperative and that is goes better next time! Good luck with the weaning process... I am sure that is emotional for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girlie I hate that I made your heart ache. I have heard and read (and am seriously HOPING it's true) that it is easier on the second go-round. I love that your heart is wanting to nurse your little babies--sometimes it just doesn't go like we planned. But WANTING to nurse is half of it so I am sure it will work out next time since you want to so badly. And your little Holden is just perfect the way he is--no mommy guilt needed! :)

      Delete
  3. i enjoyed your post. i am glad you have enjoyed this God-given, special time with your baby. i nursed ethan for 14 months...i actually started cutting back his daytime feedings before he was a year and giving him whole milk instead and he did just fine. he wouldn't drink my milk from a bottle or cup, but took the whole milk perfectly. we only stopped when we did because a) i wanted to get pregnant again (hehe) and b) i did :). i don't know how long we would have gone otherwise. i remember the first night we went out and i wasn't going to be home to nurse him to sleep-- i was so worried that he would cry all night for the babysitter, but when we got home she said he went down just fine. i was a little sad. :( yay for baby #2, nursing like a champ and reminding me how sweet it is to have that special time with your baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi friend--thanks for reading and commenting :). I remember talking with you about Ethan weaning when I saw you last summer. So funny how they are ready for things even when we aren't... I love that he weaned so easily! I think I will start doing some whole milk in the next few days before he turns one. I think he's ready...

      Delete
  4. Yay Lea I was thinking of doing a post like this too! Like I'd never thought id make it a whole year, and now it's here but I don't want to stop! But I also don't want to be like the mom on the cover of TIME! Unlike you it's been stressing me out, everyone I think I wean a feeding it seems like he cries for it, maybe I'm just reading too far into it, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Lea :) I love this- nursing is such a precious experience for Mama and baby, Ruby just weaned (15 months) earlier than I wanted. Bittersweetness. :) Great job lady! :)

    ReplyDelete