Well, needless to say, 2011 was not exactly a stellar year in my reading life.
I mean, come on, I had a baby.
But, still, when I reviewed my list for the year and counted up the total, I was a little bummed. Reading gives me so much enjoyment, and it has only been in the past month or so that I feel like I am getting back into the reading groove. I admit I get a little crazy about my book total for the year. So crazy that on Thursday when I counted them up, and realized I had only hit 23 (and that was IF I finished the current book), I rapidly finished up the one I was on, and then read another one on Saturday just so I could hit the two-books-per-month number. I know, I know. And then I had to take another bite of the humble pie when Jon listed his 2011 books and they totaled 47. That's right. My movie-loving-previously-anti-reading husband almost doubled my list. Way to go, hubby.
A year ago, I recapped my 2010 reading list by naming my top 5 fiction and top 5 nonfiction. This year, that would be half the list... so I'll just cover the whole list this time and point out some favorites.
Emma*
Cutting for Stone
(Definitely my favorite novel of the year)
The Hunger Games
(close to the top of the list, as well)
Harry Potter #2 (I can never remember their names)
The Immortal Game
(Yes this is a book about chess... but was actually pretty good!)
Catch-22*
(much better the second time around)
Catching Fire
Babywise
19 Minutes
Brave New World*
Sleep Deprived No More
Birthing From Within
(will definitely be reading this during every pregnancy)
Skinny Bitch
Animal Farm*
Love and Respect
The Red Tent
Mockingjay
Anne of Green Gables
The Practice of the Presence of God
The Sun Also Rises*
What Babies Say Before They Can Talk
(probably my favorite non-fiction read of the year)
Every Bush is Burning
War of the Worlds*
Baby Sign Language Basics
*from Kate's and my Top 100 novels list. As you can see we were major slackers this year, only finishing 6 off the list. We try to do one per month, but obviously that did not happen this year. We have similar reasons for slacking: I'm a mom and she's a grad student, so we both are sleep-and-time-deprived.
Right now I am reading One Thousand Gifts and Ender's Game. Really excited about both of them.
Any more suggestions for the coming year? How was your reading life in 2011?
Mom just told me you'd posted this! I'm working on a list of my top five all time fave books for sometime soon. I love reading with you! And I was reading your list going "oh yeahhhh we read that this year." It was a blur. I mean, you had a kid. :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteJon read 47 books? What a nerd! ;) Just kidding - kinda.
ReplyDeleteI'm on goodreads and I LOVE it. That is the site that posts my book reviews to HWE. You should check it out. It's free and awesome. The site is www.goodreads.com and it's a great way to keep track of what you read, find out what other people are reading, find reviews for books and just browse. It's kind of hard to find people on there (it's a very specific search) so if you do sign up, let me know and I will "friend" you.
ReplyDelete