For me, it means half a year of falling more and more in love with this little tiny person.
| hehe. this is one of my favorite pictures of him as a newborn. he still makes this face. |
We've had a good month. Jonathan continues to delight his parents... not to mention everyone around him.
Size/physical
Next week will be his check-up so we will get our stats then. Unofficial weigh-ins on the Buck scale puts him at 18 or 19lbs. Yikes. I am pretty sure we are in a growth spurt right now too, so who knows what the scale will say next week at the doctor. This biggest change to his appearance (besides his fuzzy hair) are those two bottom TEETH that I got all weepy about last week. They are really coming in and they look so cute. I think he may be starting with two other bottom teeth--we'll see.
| why hello there little teeth |
| (hehe here is the first attempt at a teeth picture) |
Eating
Still loves to nurse, that's for sure. And I still love nursing him. Things seem to be going well, so I think we will make the 1-year mark no problem. I am suspicious again of him being intolerant to milk--as in when I drink milk, he pukes more. So, sadly, I have had to cut out my milk drinking. I can still do other forms of dairy, but my delicious and refreshing glass of milk every morning (and sometimes afternoon and evening, too) has had to go. So far with solids we are doing a "breakfast" feeding and a "dinner" feeding. We have done bananas (you all know about that) and peas. He is still not loving the solids, but he at least doesn't look like he is swallowing pureed death when we feed him now.
| Hey big boy! |
Cognitively and verbally he is right on target, and I think his fine motor skills are up to par as well; but, try to get this kid to roll from back to front, and you've got yourself a challenge. I know he could do it, he just doesn't care enough. My mom said that I never rolled that way either, so I feel reassured. One thing this kid is a champ at, though, is sitting up! I even walked out of the room with him sitting on the floor (with a pillow behind him of course) and when I came back he was still sitting pretty!
| watching the parade on Thanksgiving morning |
| how cute does he look sitting up by himself? |
Personality
A few weeks ago when we were out doing stuff, Jonathan was all of a sudden a bit wary around strangers, which was very unusual for him. It made me interested to see how he would do on our Thanksgiving trip when he would be meeting tons of new people... and thankfully he did great! Pretty awesome that my 6 month old has already taken 2 trips on a plane and has done so well with both of them. He charmed everyone on the plane rides--he even was giggling out loud at a lady playing peekaboo with him. And with the family in NY he was so receptive and open to meeting them all and playing with everyone. He is talking so much now (especially today--lots of bababa and dadada and rarara) and he made sure to have conversations with everyone. It was so awesome seeing all of my extended family get to enjoy him like Jon and I do every day. This silly, friendly boy is quite a keeper.
| reading Colors with Aunt Kate |
Half birthday mommy...
I think the biggest thing I have learned this month is more about letting go. I realized that it is not just the process of letting go of Jonathan... it is the process of letting go of myself, of my needs, of my expectations. It was so freeing for me to finally say to myself that I do not care if Jonathan is doing the same things as other babies--whether with sleep habits, eating routines, or developmental milestones. Sure, there are some things he should be doing that I would be worried if he wasn't, but most things are so subjective and there is such a wide range of normal. The mantra "don't compare babies" never really took hold for me until this month. Oh it is good to let gooooooooo!
As I already mentioned, I loved seeing him with my whole family over Thanksgiving, and I have to admit, I had a lot of mama pride for the whole 72 hours we were in NY. So cool to see your kid interact with others and bring them joy like they do for you. Little J has a lot of love in his life, that's for sure. I also saw more clearly that he has a lot of love to give.
I think the biggest thing I have learned this month is more about letting go. I realized that it is not just the process of letting go of Jonathan... it is the process of letting go of myself, of my needs, of my expectations. It was so freeing for me to finally say to myself that I do not care if Jonathan is doing the same things as other babies--whether with sleep habits, eating routines, or developmental milestones. Sure, there are some things he should be doing that I would be worried if he wasn't, but most things are so subjective and there is such a wide range of normal. The mantra "don't compare babies" never really took hold for me until this month. Oh it is good to let gooooooooo!
As I already mentioned, I loved seeing him with my whole family over Thanksgiving, and I have to admit, I had a lot of mama pride for the whole 72 hours we were in NY. So cool to see your kid interact with others and bring them joy like they do for you. Little J has a lot of love in his life, that's for sure. I also saw more clearly that he has a lot of love to give.
Yay :) Lea, this is a really great post. I laughed out loud at the teething pictures! Jonathan is just so calm, even with strange fingers sticking in his little (but growing!) mouth. Haha love him.
ReplyDeleteLaughed and cried.....and so very proud of him!!..But i have to say, Lea, that he would NOT be all that he is without you two in his life. Seriously. You are AMAZING parents----and i am NOT prejudiced---if i were an outsider looking in, i would be in awe of all that you give and pour into him. What delight he is to so many!! 19 days before i can see that toothy smile and eyelashes and hair and beautiful eyes myself!! What a joy these 6 months have been-----just wait----the best is yet to come!!! So glad you don't miss a MINUTE NOW!!!! I love you all. Bebe
ReplyDeleteSitting up.
ReplyDeleteTeeth.
Reading.
The kid is a genius!
(and he is pretty dang cute--those ears!)
xoxoxox
Gram (and Poppi too)