Thursday, July 21, 2011

Today

Today was an interesting day.

For the past 3 days since we have gotten home from Wyoming, things have been pretty smooth sailing. I even told Jon more than once that I feel like "I've got this down" when referring to Jonathan's sleep/feeding/waketime routine. I had gotten good at putting him down for a nap, good at knowing when he is hungry or done feeding.

Today was different.

Haven't I learned yet that as soon as I say anything remotely resembling any kind of confidence, Murphy lays down the law, or possibly Jonathan hears me, and the next day we are all topsy-turvy.

It started last evening when his naps were off. That made him go to bed at a different time, and set us up for an irregular night and morning today. So, we will see how tonight goes.

Mommy working really hard to get some smiles for the camera. 
The bright spots in the day were numerous, however. The main one was that Jon was home with us ALL DAY! Don't think I mentioned this, but Jon and I decided it was time for him to quit his job at the coffee shop. There are a few other pursuits on his plate that we feel are more important and worth his time (including being a daddy!), so sadly his era at Solid Grounds is ending. But that means a lot of time together and with Jonathan. Today he took the reigns a lot of the time, helping Jonathan calm down for naps and even bottle feeding him once.

"But all he had to do was turn left. I'm not an ambi-turn, Matilda. It's been a problem since I was a baby."
Yes, we do realize that we have made two Zoolander references in regard to our baby. First by calling his camera-face Blue Steel and now by noticing his deficiency in turning left.
We are ok with that.



Jonathan was cute as ever today, although a bit more laid back given his lack of prolonged sleep. His smiles are definitely more consistent. As in, I told Jon that I basically expect to get several good smiles every play session, even if they are still difficult to capture on camera. I hope Jonathan doesn't read this post or else I'm sure those smiles will start to become infrequent again...


A few firsts for me today: 1. I cooked dinner. Actual cooking involving the stove and the oven and chopping things up. 2. I cleaned the kitchen. Actual cleaning involving scrubbing the stovetop and the microwave. 3. I pumped TWICE. Actual pumping involving a decent quantity of milk.

Unfortunately, the most difficult thing about pumping in order to have some milk stored before going back to work is figuring out the timing. I never know if Jonathan is going to wake up hungry in five minutes, so it's a bit of a gamble to go through the motions of pumping. Today was a perfect example in that I got an awesome 3 oz (mothers are obsessed with how much milk they can get...this I am learning by personal experience) and then 15 minutes later Jonathan woke up screaming and I had empty boobs. It was a good opportunity though to make sure he was ok taking a bottle, which he was. I felt a bit un-missed. But thankful that he got what he needed.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Jon can stay at home with you guys more!!! There is a "season" to everything and Solid Grounds was a good "season" and i know you are thankful for it. We are praying and waiting to see how the Lord leads for the future. It's gotta be good with all three of ya in it!!!:>)
    Hugs ( and extra sugarlumps to Jonathan!!) I love you all, Bebe

    ReplyDelete