Sunday, October 9, 2011

meant to be...

Last weekend, when Jon and I were cleaning out some old stuff, we found this:



Confused? Yeah, we were too for a second. I didn't recall the origin of this paper at all on first glance. Then, in the very back corners of my mind, a vague memory started to surface about it. I am pretty sure this was some kind of Valentine's Day student council fundraiser in high school--you fill out a survey, then pay 2 bucks or something to find out your "results," which basically means a computer generated list of your most likely "matches" in the school.

So, this piece of paper is my list. And, yes, you are correct--that name you see at the top there? That is my husband's name. He was #1 on my list of compatibility in our entire grade.

Finding this list was just so crazy for us because we did not even know each other in 9th grade (the year this list was generated). How did this computer somehow know that 2.5 years later, Jon and I would meet and start dating--which would be the start of the long story called us? How did this computer know that almost 7 years after it "matched us up," that Jon and I would become husband and wife? How did this computer know that over 12 years after it placed this unfamiliar name at the top of my list, I would give birth to that guy's kid?

Creepy, right? We thought so. But now, a week after finding this paper, I think it's kind of sweet. I can only wonder what was on that questionnaire, what answers we each gave that made us more compatible than 500 other people in the freshman class at Dutch Fork High School in 1999. Of course we will never know.

So, hats off to you, Heart2Heart Services of Dayton, Ohio. You were right. I never would have thought it 12 years ago, standing in the commons area reading over these anonymous names... But I guess this Buck Family was meant to be...



PS: We both got a kick out of the fact that Jon was the only one to put his phone number on the survey. Maybe he somehow knew these results would be so darn accurate and he wanted to go ahead and find his true love :). Maybe. Or maybe he just didn't realize what kind of survey he was filling out...



PPS: Another kick: at the time of this survey we were only 76% compatible. I think that sounds about right. We have had to work hard at that other 24%, but I think we've made up the difference by now!

5 comments:

  1. (I originally typed "SHUT UP" at the start of this comment because that's what I kept muttering while I read this, but decided it could be misinterpreted...try again...)

    THAT IS CRAZY!!! I remember them doing that when I was in high school and thinking it was the most ridiculous thing (also nobody seemed to be participating). When I first started reading your post I was like, "did they take the test together or something to try to get all the same answers?" but obviously not! How cute :) You guys need to be their spokescouple or something, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Just told Teri and she also thinks this is wild! She just keeps saying,"that's so funny" or "that's awesome." Haha! It really is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. See how much $2 used to get you back in the day?!

    I think it is amazing how things in our lives work out when we are open and ready to let them be.

    Where is Jon's List? and What ever happened to Brice Hilliard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, forgot to write that post was from me - Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT IS SO FUNNY!! My high school did these too... obviously NOT as accurate as yours ;-) so so crazy. and i LOVE that jon put his phone number down. hahaha. he could just feel that this test would bring him his true love!

    ReplyDelete