Wednesday, July 6, 2011

About our boy

Jonathan is five and a half weeks old.

-His hand movements are definitely becoming more controlled, although he still has the occasional spazzy hand episode, especially when he is really excited. When we nurse, he now usually holds my shirt, tickles my belly, holds my hair, holds my hand, plays with his face or ear. So cute.

His latest trick is maneuvering one hand out of his straight-jacket I mean swaddle. Oftentimes he looks like this when he wakes up. 
-It has become habit that at the end of his feeding, or sometimes during, he will give me a huge gummy smile. It makes me feel satisfied to know that he is satisfied! (Or at least that's how I'm interpreting those smiles). In general he is smiling more too.

Still likes the hands up over his head! A lot!
-He takes 1-3 naps in the day time ranging from 15 minutes to 2 hours. I can always get at least 1 long nap out of him, but sometimes the whole morning he will only sleep like 15 minutes but still be happy as can be.

-He is starting to pay attention to music and seems to be soothed by it. He is also liking the sound of running water.

-He is really good in general about falling asleep between feedings at night. And he is getting better and better about falling asleep on his own when I put him down in his bassinet while he's still awake.

-His play time/alert time during the day is getting longer. A lot of times he will be awake hanging out with us for a couple hours before he wants to eat or sleep again.
I think he looks like my cousin Sarah Grace in this picture
-More and more he is loving his bath time--as long as the water is the right temperature and he doesn't get too cold during it! We can tell the bath has a soothing effect on him.

-I swear he knows what a camera is and changes what he does when he knows it's around. So many times he will be doing the cutest thing and I will go to film it or take a picture and he will become transfixed by the camera and stop whatever he is doing. That's why so many pictures are of his "Blue Steel" look--he often will keep his expression exactly the same when I start clicking away!
Blue Steel

-It has been fun to learn the things that he likes and doesn't like--like the water running sound and the bath. We can tell he is starting to show his preferences.

-He is pretty good at sleeping through any sounds and is more woken by movement. The other night at church we were all singing so loud and Jonathan just chilled out in my arms during it. But the second I change his position and he will wake.

-I think I am dealing with an "oversupply" issue, which sounds like a blessing, but actually it may be causing Jonathan to get too much foremilk rather than hindmilk and thus be taking in too much volume. This could be causing him upset stomach and actually some blood in his stools. Ugghhh so we are trying some different nursing techniques to help this out. Any suggestions are welcome! Has anyone heard of this/gone through this themselves?

That's our update for our baby boy! He is still growing right before our eyes and we swear he gets cuter by the minute :)

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh oh my goodness! He is so so cute! (And smart! ha) I know everybody says this, but I really can't believe how much he's changed since the weekend. Wow-ee. He looks more like a little kid than before I think.

    I love you! Keep kissin' that baby :)

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jonathan,
    You are my sunshine.
    Love,
    Gram(my?)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I know you said this when I was visiting you guys, but I didn't super see it until looking at these pics again this morning: Jonathan looks SO much like Jon when his face is still, and SO much like you when he's smiling. Like, whoa. Just wanted to confirm what you were thinking!

    ReplyDelete